facebook_blue.png linkin_blue.png twitter_blue.png


KIRKCALDY | 01592 263455
GLENROTHES | 01592 757114
LEVEN | 01333 429320

Immigration - Right to Remain

Immigration - Right to Remain


Immigration – Leave to Remain – Spouse


So, you’re now married – Congratulations!heart-2925103_1280.jpg

If you’re planning on living in the UK, you need to check when your spouse Visa expires.  If you had a fiancé(e) Visa you would have normally been given 6 months to allow you to come to the UK, plan your wedding and marry.

The next step

It’s time to apply for leave to remain.  If you fail to renew your Visa you could be sent back to your home country, which could mean being separated from your new husband or wife.

Be Organised

The key to your application is being organised.  You have already been through the process of applying for entry clearance and will require evidence when applying for leave to remain.  In addition, you will also require your newly obtained marriage certificate, up-to-date bank statements and payslips.

What are the requirements?

  • You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.
  • You must be able to prove you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK.
  • You should have adequate accommodation for your spouse without the need for public funds. As also, you should be able to maintain your spouse without recourse to public funds.
  • If your Spouse is not from an English-speaking country then they need to provide evidence of an English Language Test. A test certificate is generally valid for 2 years.

 How long you can stay?

If successful, your new Visa will give you permission to stay for 2.5 years. After this you’ll need to apply to extend your stay.

Further Information?

We regularly assist in making these applications and can provide fixed fees for our involvement. If we can help you contact our Glenrothes Office and arrange an appointment with Jemma Forbes.






  • Tagged as:
Latest News

Who has Parental Rights and Responsibilities for children?

Contact (access) and residence (custody) of children is obtained by parents with parental rights and responsibilities. How do you know if you have them and if not, how can you apply for them?

Silent Re-letting of Commercial Properties in Scotland

Tacit relocation, the silent re-letting of commercial leases in Scotland The Scottish Law Commission published a “Discussion Paper on Aspects of Leases: Termination” in May 2018 (“the Paper”). The Paper deals predominantly with com...