facebook_blue.png linkin_blue.png twitter_blue.png


KIRKCALDY | 01592 263455
GLENROTHES | 01592 757114
LEVEN | 01333 429320

Leasing - Verbal Agreements

Leasing - Verbal Agreements

Private Tenancy Agreements


Q. Do I need to give my tenant(s) a written agreement or is a verbal agreement alright?

A. Prior to December 2017 a verbal agreement may have been legally binding but we would always strongly recommended that a written agreement be put in place.


As of December 2017 all new tenancies must be a PRTA (Private Rented Tenancy Agreement)

Whilst a verbal agreement (pre-dating December 2017) is legally binding, in most cases a tenant without a written contract still has rights which are outlined in statute. Failure to have a written agreement could still result in a landlord being taken to a tribunal and without a well-constructed written tenancy in place, there is greater room for misinterpretation between a landlord and tenant and disputes further down the line, including the ability to issue tenants with a notice to quit.


Private Rented Tenancy Agreements were introduced by the Scottish Government to ensure that “The tenancy provides security, stability and predictability for tenants and appropriate safeguards for landlords, lenders and investors

Innes Johnston can assist you with all aspects of your rental property.  If you would like more details please contact Lissa McGregor in our Glenrothes office.


  • Tagged as:
Latest News

Who has Parental Rights and Responsibilities for children?

Contact (access) and residence (custody) of children is obtained by parents with parental rights and responsibilities. How do you know if you have them and if not, how can you apply for them?

Silent Re-letting of Commercial Properties in Scotland

Tacit relocation, the silent re-letting of commercial leases in Scotland The Scottish Law Commission published a “Discussion Paper on Aspects of Leases: Termination” in May 2018 (“the Paper”). The Paper deals predominantly with com...